How can the Office of the Public Advocate help me?
- The Public Advocate's Constituent Services Unit assists with complaints or inquiries involving government-related services and regulations. The Unit provides information and referrals and works closely with City agencies to find solutions to help resolve your situation.
How can I contact the Constituent Services Unit?
- Telephone Hotline: (212) 669-7250
Hours: Monday-Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Email: GetHelp@pubadvocate.nyc.gov
- Walk-in Office Hours:
Monday-Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
1 Centre Street, 15 Floor
New York, NY 10007
- Fax: (212) 669-4701
Office of the NYC Public Advocate
Attn: Constituent Services Department
1 Centre Street, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10007
How do you help constituents?
- Once you provide your contact information, a brief description of your situation and any supportive documents or information, a constituent services representative assigned to your case will contact you to discuss a course of action with you. The representative will then refer you to the appropriate government agency to help resolve the situation.
In which languages do you provide services?
- Our office is able to assist callers in virtually any language. We are connected to an interpretation line that enables us to serve all constituents.
How do the services offered by your office differ from those offered by 311?
- 311 is an information and referral line, which allows you to speak with an operator, who will likely transfer you to a City or other government agency or write down your complaint and forward it to an agency. In the latter case, you are given a tracking number to monitor the follow-up. The 311 system is not equipped to allow for operators to track your case. At the Public Advocate's Office, complaints are handled in a casework fashion by following up with the City agencies until your complaint is resolved. 311 provides many great services to callers, but our constituent services representatives are trained to resolve your complaints with a hands-on approach.